Revisiting Old Flower Paintings

Standard

Today I decided to revisit some of the flower paintings that I had made on student quality paper and try out the wet-in-wet on dry paper painting technique that I had recently been learning.  Everything I painted today was on Bockingford Paper.

Art 2015-002

Anemones

The painting on the right is the one I did today.  The flower petals on the right needs some work, I may have to do this one again.  All of the paintings I worked on today were on A4 Bockingford Paper cut in half, about 6″x9″.

Anemone

Anemone

I really love the colors on the painting on the left, but the object was to paint wet-in-wet, and not go too crazy.  I wasn’t happy with my leaves, so I added pen to the painting.  Next time I will go a bit wilder on the background.  This time I just used a light wash in the background and added salt for some texture.

Gladioli

Gladioli

The top pair of flowers was the result of using the wrong purple, it was a granulating one and was done on cheap paper.  I managed to barely save it by using water soluble pencils and crayons.  The two on the bottom I did today.  I wanted to try out some new paint, Rose of Ultramarine.  It is a beautiful color, but it didn’t quite work on the painting on the left.  It is also a granulating paint, but it made blotchy marks on the flower petals.  I tried a different pink for the painting on the right and it turned out better.

Poppies

Poppies

These Poppies are also on Bockingford and they came out a bit better than the first time, so the new paper really does make a difference for working wet on dry.

Advertisements

2 responses