The Yellow Teapot

Quite some time ago, I painted my yellow teapot.  I printed off some copies of photos in different sizes and laminated the images with contact paper and then cut them out.  The plastic works as a resist and I love how you can see the color of the background underneath in most cases.  This time I tried something different, how unusual!  I wanted my yellow teapot, so I painted the background yellow, put the teapot mask on, pulled an outline print with scrap paper, then rolled on turquoise heavy body paint, lifted off the mask and pulled the print with good paper.  Phew!

When you do that 10 or more times, your hands can get tired from all of that rubbing on the gel plate.  In my case, I have bendy fingers and am double jointed in my thumbs.  And at my age, I get a bit of arthritis and tend to get cramps in my fingers sometimes.  Thank goodness my new little tool arrived today!  I had ordered a baren from Amazon.  It is just the thing to make sure I get every inch of my print pressed on the plate.

GEL089I pulled this print off on a security envelope.  You can barely make out the design under the paint.  This was pulled before I took off the mask.  As you can see here, the turquoise paint had some type of resist to the gel plate.  I could not make a solid background with this color.  Not sure if it was because it was heavy body or what.  However, the marks in the paint give it a bit of texture.

The Yellow Teapot.  I used Golden Open Hansa Yellow.  The open paint was very opaque on the plate if I wanted it to be and it took a little bit longer to dry so I was able to pull a very nice print with it.

Here we have the Little Green Teapot!  Thought I would just swap the colors around a little bit.  I have loads more that didn’t quite make it.  I may need to think about what I am going to do with all of my ‘failed’ prints.

Advertisements