WIP – A Flower Painting

I have been looking for full time employment since I’ve been back from our holidays.  In between job hunting, I have been felting and blogging.  You can start reading about the places we went to since the beginning of June.  It’s on my other blog.  I believe there is a link on the sidebar.  We started in France and the rest is a bit of a roller coaster!

I have been putting my hand to wet felting.  It is like painting, but with wool.  I have amassed a nice collection of different wools to play and experiment with.  Interestingly, each type of wool has its own characteristics and is better for some things than others.  Merino wool is supposed to be great for wet felting with.  I haven’t wet felted with 100% Merino wool yet.  Corriedale is meant to be great for dry needle felting (2D and 3D) and the Merino is meant to be great for wet felting as the fibers are thin and long.  Merino is also very soft.  Some manufacturers make blends.  Needle felting has opened up a whole new world for me, and also jargon.

So far, I have wet felted exclusively with Corriedale wool which is a bit more coarse and with shorter fibers.  So far, I have learned that it wet felts very quickly.  I am guessing that is due to nature of the shorter fibers.

My current work in progress is based on one of my drippy flower paintings.

IMG_5264Here is the painting after wet felting for the second time.  First I used Corriedale as the bas, and then I used a mixture of Merino and Corriedale for the colors I needed.  There was a slight issue with some of the shapes going askew and the colors not being vibrant enough, so I needle felted into the painting to tidy it up and added some extra leaves.  My edges also got really thin, so I tacked on some extra wool.  I then wet felted the whole thing again and got the above. My painting spread out quite a lot and I think that this is a characteristic of the Corriedale.  This piece measures 12 x 14 inches.  I started with 12×12 hoping it would shrink down, so I need to work out how to improve on that as I have been following the instructions (there are different ways!).

The next step was to do the free stitching.  I found some colored sewing thread and embroidery thread cheap at the charity shop and topped up at the haberdashers.  I get a bit scared of the free stitching as you don’t use a foot on the darning plate.  Anyway, here is what I did next.

IMG_5305I just sat at the sewing machine and went for it.  In my acrylic painting, the flowers are quite abstract, with swirls of paint in each flower to show movement.  Here was an opportunity to do something different.  The next step is to add some detail with the embroidery thread without going over the top.  Wish me luck!  It’s been a long time since I have done any type of embroidery! 🙂


Christmas in July!

IMG_5297The above title really goes against the grain for me, but if you are a crafter, and it seems that I am one now, you need to think ahead seasonally.  So, everyone is busy making items to sell on their Etsy shops or the craft fairs that they will be attending.  I am not selling at any craft fairs, but I will be visiting one in November to see if it might be an option.

I have just uploaded a few items on Etsy including the cute Baby Harp Seal above.  You can click on the link on the sidebar to get there.  I just made the hat today as I think anything looks great in a Christmas hat!  Merry Christmas!

Needle Felting a Terrarium

Whenever I felt something new, I always Google or YouTube it first.  Sometimes other people have different ideas to make something that might save a little bit of time.  Sometimes there isn’t anything and you just have to make it up.

After wet felting for a few days, I wanted to do something different.  So, I needle felted a terrarium, as one does!

Downloads2I did find a video on how to make succulents and I found some images on Google.  The Google images inspired me to make the above.  I managed to make it in two afternoons.  In the end, I had to wing it as there are no jade plant tutorials.  I already had a container I found at a charity shop.  It had a hideous display of dried grasses with a paper butterfly.  I ripped that out and painted the base with chalk paint.

Downloads2-001Here is the finished product.  I felted the earth and attached the succulents to that.  Then I glued the whole thing to the base and glued on some sea pebbles from my garden.  It now sits on my mantle piece.  I love it so much that I almost want to keep it, but it is a present, so I will have to find another glass vessel and make one for myself! 🙂