Needle Felting a 2D Seascape


IMG_4799Land, Sea and Sky – Needle Felt – 5.5 x 8.5 inches

I am taking a very short break from needle felting critters as I wanted to try needle felting a painting.  In this instance, I used one of my own paintings as a reference.  On one hand, it can be quite easy.  You just use wool instead of paint.  On the other hand, it can take a while as there is a lot of stabbing involved.  To make things easier, I used a punch tool that has 5 needles in it.  Then I reworked areas with one or two needles.  Apparently there is no 100% right way of doing it.  Some people add more 3D elements to their paintings.  I used half a sheet of A4 pre felt as my base.  Although this piece is quite small, it still took me a couple of hours to make as I hadn’t made one before and I was learning as I was stabbing.  I still need to tidy up the sides and then it will be ready for framing behind glass.

Here is the original painting next to it which is A3 size.

I think it was easier to make the painting than to felt it.  Splatters were a bit challenging to make  as the nepps are already pre felted.  So I had to use a very thin piece of wool to anchor it onto the sea.  The curls/locks make great waves.  I have the other half of felt left over, so I have another idea for a felted seascape, but this time without a reference and I think I will go bolder with my color choices.  I am also going to experiment with some sparkle.  I can’t wait!


Needle Felting an Owl

I was looking at various felting tutorials and randomly came across a tutorial for an owl.

Downloads2If you know what you are doing, this will only take about half an hour.  As usual, I always watch the videos before doing the tutorial.  In this instance it was a good thing as I was able to make some adjustments that turned into an afterthought on the video.  Most of the time I don’t always have the exact material as to what is used in the video, so I tend to wing it! Get it?! Ha!  In this case, I added a bit of wire to the base of the owl to make him more bendy.  There are no legs here as it is meant to be used as an ornament, or sitting on a nest.  He fits in the palm of my hand and is a few inches.  I used some lovely topcoat that I bought from the fibre fair I recently went to.  The hairs are very long and soft.  I had to cut them as they were so strong when I tried to pull a piece of roving.  I think it would make a lovely knitting yarn.  Anyway, it does make great fur or fluff.   Owls don’t have fur, but they do have fluffy looking feathers.   There are so many different ways to make owls as there are so many different types too.  Making the eyes symmetrical is a bit challenging, but he does look cute with his crazy eyes.

Generally I am not into cute art.  Not that I am a serious artist, it is just that the cuteness factor doesn’t really cut it with me.  I like folk art, but I don’t think of that as being cute, like a puppy or kittens are cute.  However, when it comes to needle felting, cuteness counts for me.  How strange!  I am aiming to try and make something every day, so I best get cracking.

Needle Felting Animals From Cookie Cutters

I went to a local Fibre Fair this weekend.  It was a lot better than the craft fair I went to with my daughter.  There were some local artists and crafts people (mostly women).  It wasn’t a big event, but I went and looked, learned a few things and got inspired.  I think I spent most of the time chatting to everyone.  There were some very talented people there.  I bought some wool.  How surprising! Ha!  It would have been rude not to.  I bought some Romney wool from Kent.  It is a chunky batt sliver and will make a good base for future critters.   I also bought some nice white top coat.  The most fun thing I purchased were these Wensleydale locks.

IMG_4784These are hand dyed and will make great elements in a felted painting.  These locks are so much nicer than the dyed locks I purchased from another supplier.  OMG, I actually sound like I know what I am talking about!  That’s the funny thing when I start something new – I always learn stuff.  I am learning about sheep and all the different types of wool.  Considering that we have a lot of sheep near where we live (and it is lambing season now, so cute) it would be rude not to learn about them.

So, after I had a look around the fair and got inspired, I went to the shops and did a few errands.  I found some cookie cutters in the shape of jungle animals in the pound shop and had an idea to make some brooches.

IMG_4781Yes, you can felt things in a cookie cutter.  These are only 2-3 inches tall.  They still take a lot of stabbing (technical term).  I saw a demo using a heart shaped cookie cutter to make a garland.  I made the giraffe and elephant quite thick because I wanted the neck of the giraffe and trunk of the elephant to be quite sturdy.  Once the critters were quite firm, I embellished them.  I added tails to the giraffe and lion, an ear to the elephant and the rest.  I just googled pictures of the animals.  I think they look really cute and would make a fun brooch or a mobile as they are as light as a feather.  I only worked on one side as they will be turned into brooches.  My daughter asked me why the monkey looked angry and I told her he was having a bad hair day.  I might try and turn the giraffe into a llama as they have a similar shape.  I will be keeping my eyes peeled for some fun cookie cutters next time I go out to the charity shops and such.  Hey, I just thought they could also make great fridge magnets too!