Some More Gel Prints

I decided to be a little bit more thoughtful when making new prints as I learned a few things while reworking unsuccessful prints.  One of things I learned is that the paint can come off a previously worked gel print on parchment paper when adding new paint.  That is why there were a few gaps and some of the paint got stuck on the plate.

Yesterday I decided to use copy paper and some cartridge paper that I forgot I had.  However, before I got stuck into printing, I spent the morning cutting out stencils.  It’s a wonder I didn’t cut myself!  I cut out some poppy shapes and some leaf shapes.

GEL030-001This print was printed on Cartridge Paper – 140lb.  It took a print quite well, and compared to the copy paper, it looks quite painterly.

GEL029-001This print above and the rest below were printed on photo copy paper.  The lines are more crisp and the colors are more saturated.  My husband said that copy paper is supposed to absorb ink and that is most likely why.  Also, there wasn’t much chance of pulling off a ghost print either when using copy paper as most of the paint was pulled up off of the plate.  I only used three primary colors in this print: cadmium yellow, process magenta, and cyan.  As you can see, we also have green, orange and purple – all the secondary colors.

The print on the right was made with cookie cutters in 3 sizes from the pound store.

GEL026-001The print above was made by putting paint on the plate that already had dried paint left on it.  The wet paint will soak up the dried paint and lift it up.  It may look a little bit messy, but I kind of like it.  If you want really clean prints, it is probably best to clean your gel plate between each color.  I also used this paper to try and lift off ghost prints beforehand and is also why there are a few colors on it.

GEL027-001

This last print was made with only the primary colors; yellow first, then magenta and then an iridescent blue (which you can’t tell).  I used a silicone jar lid opener I bought at the pound store that had a flower motif.  There were two in the pack, so I have one for  printing and one to use!  You can find so many things to use for making marks.

There were a few prints that were not so successful, but as I hate to waste paper, I am sure I can use them in something.  I saw a video on youtube where the person made up a bunch of prints on deli-paper in the colors they wanted for a background and then painted over that.  The prints were not perfect, but there were some interesting marks made on them.  Then they drew out what they wanted to paint and painted over the deli-paper.  You were able to see some of what was underneath.  I might try that instead of just toning out the background on a canvas.  This way nothing gets wasted!

Happy printing people!

 

Advertisements

Back to My Roots

First  of all, I would like to thank everyone who visited my Etsy shop and favorited me.  I also want to thank everyone for their supportive comments.  It took me nearly a week to get everything in my shop uploaded and up and running.  It was like going back to work.  I have not had much temp work come in this last month, so I took advantage of the lull and tried to paint more and set up shop.  Now that my shop is set up, I am now waiting for the Universe to send me some more work and customers! 🙂

Here is my latest:

 

ET016-001
Back to My Roots – Mixed Media on Canvas Board – 5×7 inches

This little painting is inspired by Hungarian embroidery.  When I was a little girl, my first doll was a porcelain Hungarian doll with pom-poms on her head, with about 3-4 skirts and with lovely embroidery.  My grandmothers also used to embroider flowers on the dresses they made for me.

As is the case recently, this painting started out as something else and turned into this little piece, which is why there is so much texture here.

This item is for sale and you can purchase it here.

 

Round and Around

 

IMG_3762
Round and Around – Mixed Media on Canvas Board – 10×12 inches

 

It seems once I got started, I couldn’t stop.  I was hooked on making swirly patterns and creating drips.  This time I thought I would try the portrait format.  Before I started my painting, I put a coat of gesso on the canvas board and then added some more gesso on top of a stencil for some texture.

Here is a close up of a section:

IMG_3762-001

I also added some iridescent medium to the background and to some of the flowers to give the painting a bit of shimmer.  Unfortunately, you can’t see the effect of the iridescence in the photo.  It is quite subtle.

Here is another close up:

IMG_3764

There is a little bit of iridescent medium on the purple flower on the right.

This is what it could look like framed:

IMG_3767