Wet Felted Iris Vessel

Downloads2-001I have been making my vessels two at a time in order to save a little bit of time.  Otherwise I would be at it all day!  I originally wanted to make a blue iris, but I didn’t have any blue prefelt, nor the time to make any.  So, I Googled yellow irises and sure enough, there are yellow irises.  I drew and cut out 3 basic shapes on the prefelt as my decoration.  Yellow and purple are opposites on the color wheel and I knew that would make the yellow really pop.  I have some lovely lavender Merino batt that I used as a base and used the prefelt as decoration with some Corriedale as the stem.  I hadn’t used prefelt in wet felting before and I was happy with the result and how it felted.  I shall probably use it more often.

Once the vessel was completely dry, I needle felted some extra wool on the flower for definition and decoration and then wet felted it again.  I knocked out the wrinkles to make it really smooth.   I wasn’t going for a realistic flower.  I just wanted people to know what it was.  Looking at it now, I might add some more wool to the flower to give it more definition near the stem, otherwise I am really happy with how it turned out! 🙂

Here it is now with a bit more contrast needle felted to the flower.

Downloads2-001It’s subtle, but it does make a difference.

Advertisements

Wet Felted Poppy Vessel-WIP

Here is my latest vessel. I was inspired by a vase with tulips and came up with this poppy motif. I loved making this and really enjoy painting flowers.  It is great to combine the two – painting with wool and wet felting. I used extra wool to make a really sturdy bowl. After the bowl was dry, I needle felted some extra color on the flowers as the went a bit dull during the wet felting process due to the wool in the inner layer migrating through. I then gently wet felted them again to tidy up the fuzzies, but still let them retain their 3D effect. I sewed on some beads while at work. All I need to do is sew some French knots and it will be finished!

WIP – A Flower Painting

I have been looking for full time employment since I’ve been back from our holidays.  In between job hunting, I have been felting and blogging.  You can start reading about the places we went to since the beginning of June.  It’s on my other blog.  I believe there is a link on the sidebar.  We started in France and the rest is a bit of a roller coaster!

I have been putting my hand to wet felting.  It is like painting, but with wool.  I have amassed a nice collection of different wools to play and experiment with.  Interestingly, each type of wool has its own characteristics and is better for some things than others.  Merino wool is supposed to be great for wet felting with.  I haven’t wet felted with 100% Merino wool yet.  Corriedale is meant to be great for dry needle felting (2D and 3D) and the Merino is meant to be great for wet felting as the fibers are thin and long.  Merino is also very soft.  Some manufacturers make blends.  Needle felting has opened up a whole new world for me, and also jargon.

So far, I have wet felted exclusively with Corriedale wool which is a bit more coarse and with shorter fibers.  So far, I have learned that it wet felts very quickly.  I am guessing that is due to nature of the shorter fibers.

My current work in progress is based on one of my drippy flower paintings.

IMG_5264Here is the painting after wet felting for the second time.  First I used Corriedale as the bas, and then I used a mixture of Merino and Corriedale for the colors I needed.  There was a slight issue with some of the shapes going askew and the colors not being vibrant enough, so I needle felted into the painting to tidy it up and added some extra leaves.  My edges also got really thin, so I tacked on some extra wool.  I then wet felted the whole thing again and got the above. My painting spread out quite a lot and I think that this is a characteristic of the Corriedale.  This piece measures 12 x 14 inches.  I started with 12×12 hoping it would shrink down, so I need to work out how to improve on that as I have been following the instructions (there are different ways!).

The next step was to do the free stitching.  I found some colored sewing thread and embroidery thread cheap at the charity shop and topped up at the haberdashers.  I get a bit scared of the free stitching as you don’t use a foot on the darning plate.  Anyway, here is what I did next.

IMG_5305I just sat at the sewing machine and went for it.  In my acrylic painting, the flowers are quite abstract, with swirls of paint in each flower to show movement.  Here was an opportunity to do something different.  The next step is to add some detail with the embroidery thread without going over the top.  Wish me luck!  It’s been a long time since I have done any type of embroidery! 🙂