New Painting for 2019

IMG_4610Acrylic on Canvas – 18 x 24 inches

As with some of my other paintings, this one started life as something else.  The colors were similar, but that was about it.  You may be able to see some of them under the many layers of paint.  I have been working on this one for nearly 2 weeks now.  It has been taking a long time for the Golden Open paints to dry in this weather.  As this painting has evolved, it would sit on top of the fireplace in the dining room and I would contemplate about what I would do next once the paint has dried.  I finally figured it out this morning and I now feel that it is complete and am quite happy with it.  (The paint is still wet as I type this, so anything can happen once I leave it lying around for awhile.)  The thing about painting an abstract is that you can keep going on and on and changing it that it can sometimes be difficult to know when to stop.  It is pretty much how I wanted it to look as I had it in my mind.

I have now started something completely different just to take my mind off of this one. 🙂

Leftover Paint

IMG_4581Leftover Paint – Acrylic on Canvas –  40x50cm (approx. 16×19.5 inches)

I know I talked about using leftover paint many times.  I think this is one of the first paintings I have created using leftover paint.  I thought I might have posted a photo or did a blog post about it, but I couldn’t find anything to give you a before photo.  Anyway, I painted this many years ago and it has been sitting on a dresser, unfinished and unvarnished.  I am not even sure if this canvas had an unsuccessful painting on it before I started slapping the paint on.  As you can see, there is a lot of texture on the canvas as I must have prepped it with some sort of texture paste beforehand.

I remember just using the leftover paint that I had and then adding more and more until I got the painting above.  It isn’t supposed to be anything.  I just really liked the colors and how they went together.  As I said, this painting was just lying around and I decided to finish it off.  Since I first made the painting, I have acquired more products and learned more techniques.  So, after painting the sides a deep turquoise, I used glazing liquid and fluid paint to jazz the colors up a bit.

I also gave it an isolation coat and a final coat of varnish which makes it nice and shiny.  Here is where it lives now.

IMG_4606 (1)Technically, this is the first painting of 2019! 🙂

 

Making Pink, and Purple

I am still working on my Pink WIP.  It is slow going and looks nothing like how I started it.   I am now finished with work and so I do have some time to work on it a little each day.  The open paint medium added to the paint makes it take a long time to dry in this colder weather though.  I may need to start on something else while the paint dries!

I wasn’t happy with the transparency of the paints and decided to make them more opaque.  So I made some paint samples and made a chart.

FullSizeRender (5)

This is my starting point.  The open medium made the paint quite glossy.  The photo looks better than in real life.  I love the colors, but not the way they are.  The painting looks nothing like this at the moment and I am hesitant to share it right now.

IMG_4529 (1)

Here is my paint chart.  I didn’t use all of my reds, only the ones that I knew would make a pink, rather than a salmon color, so no cadmium or pyrole red.  As you can see, some reds go more pinky and brighter than others and that is because of the blue hue in them.  In my top photo, I used the paint straight out of the tube or bottle.  Pretty much a no-no, but I like the vibrant colors.  When white is added, you get a more opaque and lighter color.  I also had some ready made purples that I added white to also.  The ultramarine violet goes quite grey and pale and some of the others are on the pink side.  I think the best purples are made when mixing the reds with ultramarine blue.

IMG_4537 (1)My palette.  Almost a work of art in itself.