Valentine’s Sale on Etsy

I am having a 10% off Valentine’s Day sale in my Etsy Shop.  There are 70 items all featuring a 10% discount on already reduced prices.  Have a look!  Here’s a selection.

You can visit my shop here or click on the link on the sidebar!

 

Advertisements

Playing With Collage

It has been rather busy here on the home front these last couple of weeks.  I have a temp contract at a school and I had a visit from my daughter recently.  With the short days and work, I hadn’t had time to do any arty things except buy a book on collage.  Now, I probably don’t really need a book on collage, but I felt I needed some inspiration.

I had an old painting I wasn’t happy with, so I decided to use it for a collage piece.IMG_3466This mixed media piece is A3 size and I really don’t like it.  Really.  Nothing is ever going to make me like it as it is.  So, I cut it down to two 8×8 inch pieces.  Now they look like this:

mono288-001

For the collage above I used a piece of a gelli print, printed paper, a transfer I made for another painting, paper that I rolled my brayer onto during one of my printing sessions and some Acrylic Painting paper that I used for leftover paint.  For the collage below, I just cut up a piece of Acrylic Painting paper with leftover paint.  I just happened to have a piece of paper that had similar colors to the background piece.

mono287-001I’m not sure if they are finished, so I will just hang onto them for now.  It is good practice to keep your work even if you don’t like it as you may find some other use for them.  In any event, I like them better this way.

Thanks for stopping by!

 

‘Unsuccessful’ Teapots Monotypes

When I make prints on the gel plate, I don’t always know what I am going to do.  One day I may do circles and ribbon, another some birds, and one day I did teapots.  The teapot came from a photo I took of my Yellow Teapot painting.

IMG_7827I cut out the teapot and used contact paper to water/paint-proof the stencil.  Then I made many prints.  What I considered to be ‘unsuccessful’ went into a pile while I considered what to do with them.

On Boxing Day I ordered the Tonic Stamping platform so that I could easily register my prints.  One of the hardest things to do when printing off of a raised surface is to get it to register properly.  This stamping platform makes it a lot easier as you can line everything up before you add paint to the gel press.  I used a limited palette of acrylic paint with some gold metallic and embellished some with colored pencils.  When printing on the teapot, I had to make a mask for the background.  It was in some ways a complicated procedure as when I used a stencil on the teapot, I put the stencil on first and then the mask.  Sometimes it worked well.  Doing the background was a lot easier as I only had to place the teapot template onto the print to mask it off.

 

Although not perfect, they look much better and I am quite happy with them.  Now when I look at what I considered to be my ‘successful’ prints, I am no longer sure they are.  I am thinking that I may need to  re-visit them and do some more work.  At least I have something to keep me busy for a while!

Until next time, Happy Creating!