I’ve been working on this painting since Boxing Day and have just finished it. This isn’t the best photo as the light is rather dim outside, but I wanted to post this as it is officially my last painting of the year.
This is one of my reference photos for inspiration:
As you can see, I took some liberties. I have been wanting to paint these for ages. I still have some leftover paint and will be using this to try some different techniques. If it took so long for me to paint this, it was because I mainly used a size 0 script brush. I also painted the background in Paynes Grey. I had to use a white pastel pencil to transfer my drawing onto the canvas and then paint the outline in white. There are many layers of paint on this canvas as it took me awhile to get the purples to look the way I wanted. Painting on a very dark background is not my favorite. In any event, it was a learning curve and it meant that painting the orange flowers didn’t take nearly as long to do.
I enjoyed painting the details and found it quite therapeutic. I use Picasa as my photo editor and used the zoom feature to really get close up on the petals. I decided to paint the buds more loosely while focusing more on the open blooms. Once the flowers were finished, I went back to the background and repainted it with Paynes Grey mixed with a little Ultramarine Blue. However, I still found the background needed something. I cut out my template and placed it on the flowers and then got a toothbrush and splattered some of the purple and orange paint on. Remember to move your laptop when you do this!
I am as happy with this painting as I ever will be. I am most likely my harshest critic. In fact, the paintings I prefer are painted more loosely and will be something I will be working on in 2015. Paint loose and paint more! Not a bad resolution to start the New Year with! Have a great 2015!