Needle Felting a Winter Gnome


Downloads2-013Meet Sedgewick The Winter Gnome.  He is finished except that I am waiting for his ski poles to arrive and then I can glue him down to the wood base.  He is only a few inches high.  I really love him!


Needle Felting a Retro Campervan

After felting my Forest Gnome, I took a break from needle felting in order to do some housework, and other things that needed doing! 🙂  Seriously, I didn’t do any needle felting for about 24 hours!

I made some cushion covers for the van.

IMG_4964I had this fabric for over a year!  I still have my American (Kenmore, from Sears) sewing machine which is over 30 years old.  It requires a very large transformer that weighs a ton, so I don’t bring out the sewing machine very often.  However, my husband was using it to modify the new dog crate cover for when we tow the dogs on the bikes.  He was adding reflective safety webbing to all the sides so the cars and other cyclists can see it.  It looks really good.  BTW, if you need any large zippers doing, he’s your man.

As the machine was out, I thought it would a good time to finally make the covers.  It has been awhile since I used the sewing machine and it took a little while to re-acquaint myself with it and work out the correct tension.  These are envelope covers, so quite easy to make.  I also modified a couple of T-shirts to add ruching to the sides.  Did you know that if your T-shirt is cut square at the bottom, it makes you look stubby?  Now you know!

So, cleaning, laundry, and sewing took me all day!  While admiring my new cushions (the hubs loves them too!), I thought I would see if I could make a little felted Campervan.  There aren’t many on the internet for inspiration, but I have some toy models and went from there.

Downloads2This guy is quite small, just a bit larger than a credit card (which I used as a reference to felt down to size).  I started him after dinner and finished him off today.  A lot of stabbing went into this little guy, but he is still light as a feather.  I just need to thread some nylon through him and he will be ready to hang from the rear view mirror!

Needle Felting a Forest Gnome

After making my first Gnome, I got the bug.  I wondered how I could make something different to the traditional Gnome and came up with this little (well, not really so little) guy.
Downloads2-001This is the start of my Forest Gnome, The Mushroom Forager.  He is made up of one solid piece of core wool.  I used Romney wool from a farm in Romney Marsh.  Apparently the sheep eat seaweed.  It felts really nicely, but is a bit dear.  I’ve also used Teeswater locks for the beard and hair.  These locks are so beautiful!  The topcoat is Corriedale and the jacket is Jacob batt.  I used Marino pre-felt for the nose, ears and hands.  In this photo, he can stand alone.  It is important to me that he can do that.  Here he is finished.

IMG_4962As you can see, I added a couple of extra mushrooms to his head/hat.  My daughter said he looked a bit rude (my translation) when I showed her the first photo.  I gave him some boots.  He can still stand alone as I haven’t mounted the base to his butt yet.  There is real moss and a feather on his base.  Once I am completely satisfied, I will felt the base to his butt and then glue the base to a slice of white birch that I got in the post today.

So, this Forest Gnome is called Richard, The Mushroom Forager.  He is ever on the hunt for the elusive boletus mushroom.  On his base he is 11.5 inches tall!

A considerable amount of stabbing went into this guy!  I just need to make one smaller!