Printing With Collagraphs

 

IMG_3839This is the collagraph I made that I didn’t take to class as I had some issues with it buckling in some areas.  So I added additional glue and put a very heavy book on top to flatten everything down.  Once it was flattish (as above), I inked it with a roller in three colors and this is what I got:

I rolled out the ink onto my brayer and applied the paper, used the baren, and this is what I got for number 1.  I tried this again, but my brayer is not the right type of brayer for collagraphs and I couldn’t get a better print.  In print 2, I applied the ink with a brush and then put the paper on and rubbed.  I got a better print, but there was too much ink.  Then I took a second print, number 3, and got a better print.  Not being happy with any of these prints (although my tutor thinks they are ok), I rolled out the ink on my gel plate, pressed the collagraph into that and got these:

 

These are not good, but you can see where I was going with the ink.  So I stuck my inky collagraph into a plastic bag and took it to class.  I showed it and the prints to my tutor and he took it straight to the printing press and pulled off two really nice prints that are drying on the racks.  I will have to show them to you next week.  Because I was really frustrated with my collagraph, I printed some more circles on the gel plate.

The blue ink really does not like my gel plate, but it does give a nice watery effect that I played around with, without any real success.  I’m determined not to let it beat me.

In any event, Printing Class 3 was very interesting as we applied yellow over the prints we printed in red last week.

We took one of our prints and cut masks from it with the idea being that whatever got printed yellow will become green when we put the final color blue on top.  We also experimented with putting newsprint masks over areas we wanted to keep red or make purple.  We made about six prints of each collagraph in red, so we had plenty to work with and try different things.

Some days one has to let go of trying to make a great print and just go with the process and see what you can learn from it.

Advertisements

Making Landscapes with Gel Plate

When I was playing with my gel plate last week I kept thinking on how I could make a landscape with some plants.  But first I had to cut some paper.  I am running out of space in my little house to store my artwork.  I have a box under the spare bed where I keep paper, so I dug out all the cheap drawing paper (some A1 size!) to make room for my Etsy items that are for sale.

Then I had to cut it all up.  The paper is not great quality drawing paper.  I bought the drawing pads at the pound shop, which is not bad for 8 sheets of drawing paper A1 size.  I was using it for my life drawing classes and bought loads.  I ended up cutting them down to A4 size.  Fortunately they cut well with a ruler and I didn’t have to use scissors.  I now have a large pile of cheap printing paper that is a bit more substantial than copy paper.  Sometimes one actually has to do some work and preparation before one can play.  I had to really tidy up as I need to spread out when printing and I end up taking over the whole dining room table!  I’ve managed to clear up enough so we can now eat at the table again!

Sometimes you have to pull a lot of prints to get a few good ones, and there is no rhyme or reason as to when you will get good one.  Here are some of what I think are the more successful prints that I made today on the good cartridge paper.

I picked some Wild Carrot on my walk yesterday and thought they would make great prints.  I shortened the stems to make them look like trees.

Here I tried something different with the brayer.  Unfortunately the print didn’t register properly, meaning I didn’t manage to line them up exactly when pulling the ghost print.  They look better cropped.

GEL081

This one is my favourite of all.  Its a faded ghost print onto a burnt sienna background.  The Indigo blue looks black here.

I’ve ordered some water soluble printing ink to try as it is meant to be actually better for printing than acrylic paint as not all of the paint was being picked up.  It should also come in handy for my printing class.

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy painting people!

Abstract Landscape with Mono-Prints

GEL035-001Untitled – Acrylic on Canvas board – 5×7 inches

Here is a little something I created when playing around with faux encaustic methods.  I used some of my gelli-prints to make an abstract landscape.  I tore off bits of paper and glued them on with thick gel.  When that was dry, I added some ink.  And when everything was completely dry, I used one of my faux encaustic mixes to cover the whole painting.  You can see some of the lines where I spread it over the painting.  Another thing I did was to paint on the back of some of the papers to give them more of a glow.  This only works if your gelli-prints are on parchment paper.

This exercise wasn’t to create an amazing piece of art, merely to try a new technique.  I made another little landscape by using glue and faux encaustic with some stamping.  I gave it to a friend the other night before I got a chance to take a photo.  She really liked it and I couldn’t say no.  I may have to do another one!

If you don’t seem many posts from me now, it means I am back at work!  I enjoyed the time off while it lasted, but I need to pay the bills!  Happy Painting People!